Airbnb API FAQ
Airbnb's API connection comes with a few limitations and listing requirements that may require some adjustment if you are used to working within Airbnb's native application. While these stipulations are subject to change in the future (as Airbnb have done with API updates in the past), the most current API version requirements & limitations are as follows:
- All listings connected to Airbnb via API connection will automatically be set to accept instant bookings. Unfortunately, this is strictly controlled by Airbnb and cannot be turned off in Sympl or your Airbnb dashboard.
- Co-hosting is not supported via API connections. While Sympl will allow co-hosted listings to connect to Airbnb via API (and still maintain a number of features), it's generally recommended that users add their Sympl rental property's iCal URL to their Airbnb listing via Airbnb's dashboard. This will continuously update availability.
- Airbnb API listings must adhere to the Content Listing Criteria outlined by Airbnb below! If your listing does not meet these requirements, Airbnb may automatically de-list it until it is brought up to specification.
- Pricing and availability settings of listings connected via API will not be accessible in your Airbnb dashboard anymore - they must be updated in Sympl.
- There are two Synchronization settings that Sympl users can choose from: Rates & Availability or Full Synchronization. By default, Sympl will automatically set new API connections to Rates & Availability. Using this synchronization method, Sympl is able to perform rate & availability pushes, sending & receiving messages, and booking imports. You will still be able to adjust these settings via your Airbnb dashboard as well.
Switching to Full Synchronization will bring complete listing control over to Sympl, but you will no longer be able to make adjustments to your listing via Airbnb's dashboard.
- Airbnb automatically strips guest requirements from any listing that is connected to a channel manager via API. This is an unavoidable issue that is strictly controlled by Airbnb.
- Airbnb's API will not import blocked dates to your Sympl calendar when connected. After the initial API connection, please make sure you scan your Airbnb listing calendars for blocked dates and manually add them in your Sympl calendar.
Airbnb API Content Listing Criteria
Airbnb will automatically disable listings that do not meet the following minimum content requirements.
- Title - At least 8 characters in the listing title
- Description - At least 50 characters in the listing description field
- Photos - At least 7 photos, including 3 with high-resolution (800x500 pixels)
- Amenities - At least 5 amenities